Louis T. Wright, MD
Dr. Louis T. Wright was born in 1891 at LaGrange, Georgia. He attended Clark University and then Harvard Medical School, from which he graduated in 1915. While serving in the Army Medical Corps during the First World War he introduced intradermal vaccination for smallpox. In 1919 he secured a position at Harlem Hospital, where in 1938 he became director of attending surgeons and director of the medical board. In 1948 he was hailed as the first clinician to investigate the treatment of humans with Aureomycin. At the same time, he served as chairman of the national board of directors of the N.A.A.C.P.
Until his death in 1952, Dr. Wright was a relentless opponent of racial prejudice, discrimination, and injustice.
He stood solidly in favor of a responsive, fully integrated Harlem Hospital, which he considered to be the social
obligation of the city of New York to provide. He stood equally firm in opposition to the social alternative of
a privately funded, "charity" hospital which would obviate the need for the city to meet its obligations.
He is especially remembered for his conviction that "what the Negro physician needs is equal opportunity for
training and practice--no more, nor less."